Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thursday Evening Overview

A warm welcome to Salt Lake City was extended to all in attendance at the IEEE-USA Welcome Dinner this evening by IEEE President Gordon W. Day! Smiles, handshakes and names were exchanged all evening. Networking was alive and well towards the end of dinner and into the cracker-barrel sessions. I myself met members from Kansas city, Texas, Jamaica, Louisiana, Iowa, Colorado and California in just the first event! However, when it was time to postulate, discuss and debate tough questions after dinner the engineers were more than ready. It was refreshing to hear the insightful questions and thorough comments. This indicates that the issues of software engineering licensure and employment support are of interest to IEEE members, and the cracker-barrel sessions were the perfect medium for an exchange of views.

This is my first IEEE-USA Annual Meeting and I already feel like I have been attending for years. I would encourage other GOLD members to attend and network with people from the other 9 regions.

1 comment:

  1. Another highlight of the welcome reception was seeing the IEEE's 125th anniversary video, IEEE One Mind. It was very well-produced and features IEEE members from all over the world. I encourage all IEEE Sections to incorporate an anniversary activity into at least one of your events in 2009.

    Attendees also saw video presentations from the candidates for 2010 IEEE president-elect: Joseph V. Lillie (USA), Jose R. (Roberto) Boisson de Marca (Brazil) and Moshe Kam (USA).

    ReplyDelete